l After implementation of the Nuri curriculum(for 3-to 5-year olds), people became interested in the education quality and effective management of mixed-age class.
l Under this new setting, teachers of mixed-age class were experiencing difficulties in teaching and managing the class; thus, lesson plan, including effective class management plan and various educational activities was going to be made to support the teachers.
l Document analysis of mixed-age classes from local governments and on-line survey of 300 teachers.
l In-depth survey of teachers of mixed-age classes at incheon, gyeongbuk, jeonnam, kangwon, and gyeonggi.
l Operation Status of Mixed-Age Class at Kindergartens by Local Governments
- By the regional and socio-demographic characteristics, guidelines for organizing mixed-age class at kindergarten were different; moreover, farming/fishing community and remote areas also had different guidelines for class organization.
- According to the distribution of nationwide mixed-age class, the ratio of mixed-age class at public kindergartens in farming/fishing community and remote areas was significantly high.
l Class Management Status of Mixed-Age Class and Teacher’s Demands
- The most important causes of difficulties in managing the mixed-age classes were as follows: lack of supporting manpower, information about management and teacher training of the mixed-age class. Following that, teachers demanded extra-staffs for supporting class and administration and teacher training for teaching and managing the mixed-age class.
- For the lesson of the mixed-age class, age-ratio was first concerned; because of these different age groups, teachers experienced difficulties to plan a lesson.
- For the format of class, large/small group activity was more difficult than free choice activity.
- To plan a lesson, teachers most used the Nuri curriculum guidelines(manual) and then teaching materials for mixed-age class by the Ministry of Education. They also used the internet sites to search the teaching materials(11.7%).
l Lesson Plan for Mixed-Age Class
- Teachers of the mixed-age class most demanded the lesson plan, including effective class management plan and various educational activities.
- It was necessary to make the detailed lesson plans, based on the teaching materials from the Ministry of Education(e.g. Nuri curriculum for 3-to 5-year olds).
l Try to organize the class with the same age groups by predicting the number of new kindergarteners and improve the class organization standard by ages.
l Make the supply and demand system for the mixed-age class in farming/fishing community and remote areas.
l Develop and provide the lesson plan, including effective class management plan and various educational activities.
l Distribute the best practices of teaching and managing the mixed-age class and provide systematic teacher training program(e.g. small group consulting).
Table Of Contents
Ⅱ. 시·도별 혼합연령학급 현황
Ⅲ. 혼합연령학급 교사의 학급과 수업 운영 실태 및 요구
Ⅳ. 유치원 혼합연령학급 활동안 구성
Ⅴ. 혼합연령학급 효율적 운영 방안